There is something very satisfying and comforting about having a homemade breakfast cereal in the house. Once you whip up a batch of this delicious and healthy granola, you’ll probably never opt for the store bought stuff again. Enjoy this granola with either dairy free milk or yogurt and sprinkle lavishly with ruby red and luscious blue seasonal berries. Oats are great too for releasing energy slowly and they will keep you going until lunch without needing to snack. But if you do get the munchies later on in the day, this makes a great nutritious snack that will stave off any hunger pangs. It’s so tasty and has just the right amount of sweetness, nuttiness and fruitiness. I think I need to go and grab another bowl now!
- 500g bag of organic jumbo oats
- 1/2 cup of organic shredded coconut
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 cup of your favourite organic dried fruits (cranberries, apricots, figs)
- 1/2 cup of organic nuts such as almonds, pecans and walnuts
- Organic sunflower oil
- Organic honey
How to make
- Spread the rolled oats into a roasting dish, sprinkle liberally with cinnamon and the coconut and mix together.
- Combine the sunflower oil and honey in a cup to measure just less than 1/2 cup. Pour this over the oats and use a fork to ensure all the oats are well covered.
- Place in a 200 degree (celsius) oven until golden brown (approximately 20 minutes). Be sure to watch the oats carefully and stir them often as they can cook fairly quickly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool while you prepare the dried fruit and nuts in a separate bowl.
- Use some kitchen scissors to easily cut the dried fruit into smaller pieces. Add the fruit and nuts to the oats and mix well.
- I store my granola in an airtight glass jar and the mixture keeps well for 3 weeks or longer.